Tuesday, August 30, 2011

One Year Post Surgery

At my 19 week appointment with my MFM specialist, I found out that Hudson had only one kidney. I went to either my OB or the MFM specialist every week, and the appointments became so routine that I told Dave not to worry about taking off to go to this particular appointment with me. I would be in and out and would bring some 3D images home just like every other week. Little did I know that it would be a scary appointment and the one that I would need him at the most. I knew something was wrong when Jodi kept measuring, measuring, and remeasuring in the same spot during my ultrasound. I told her that she had to tell me what was going on, and she did. When Dr. Ware came in, Jodi showed her everything on the ultrasound, then she explained, drew diagrams, and went over research with me. I was so overwhelmed. Hudson had hydronephrosis is his solitary kidney and a mega ureter. They could also tell that he was refluxing urine. We would have to wait until after he was born to find out the severity of the issue. As I was leaving my appointment, Dr. Ware followed me out into the hallway to wait for the elevator just to make sure that I was alright. She was so great.

No one ever wants to hear that there is something "wrong" with their baby. We quickly realized that there wasn't anything "wrong" with our baby. This was how God made Hudson and he was "fearfully and wonderfully made". These unexpected kidney issues were not the plans we chose, but they were perfect plans none the less. We found comfort in knowing that we were doing everything in our power and that we had the best medical care possible.

I visited Dr. Donohoe (ped. urologist) before Hudson was even born so that we would have a plan of action immediately after birth. There were several tests that he needed the first day of life, and several more the following days. When we were discharged from the hospital, we didn't get to go straight home. We had to take Hudson to CMCG for Dr. Donohoe to examine. It was determined that he was refluxing urine at a grade 4 out of 5 and that he had a blockage near his bladder in his ureter. He needed surgery, but the good news was that we could wait about a year. His bladder needed time to grow so that they could do one permanent operation instead of a temporary one and then have to go back and do more later. Now that I had him in my arms, I appreciated his life more because of his diagnosis. It also made me treasure every single moment with him.

This was at his first birthday party a few days before surgery.This one is from his one year photo session.

The night before surgery. Even though we began preparing ourselves for the surgery as soon as he was born, it was still difficult when we finally knew the date that it would happen. There was no way to truly prepare for it. All we could do was try to get used to the idea.

Waiting in the pre-op area. This was taken after he was given his "happy juice" that made him really relaxed. It's so strange for me to see that pacifier in his mouth. That was the last week that he ever had it.

August 31, 2010 came and I really do not know how I made it through that day. The Lord sure was with me, because as I think back, I cannot understand how I was so calm. We have a wonderful friend that works in the OR who made things much easier for us. Scrubbing in, carrying my baby to the operating table, and leaving him there was the hardest thing I have ever done. As I turned to leave him in the room, I noticed how bright, cold, and sterile it was. This was no place for my baby. It was time to trust the medical team. I knew he was in good hands. I knew that God was guiding their every move and thought, and giving them the focus and concentration that was needed to fix my baby. The surgery was supposed to last 4 hours. Those 4 hours came and went. I received calls from the nurse in the O.R. every 45 mins. with updates. We soon found ourselves the only family left in the waiting area. It turned out that Doc had to do more than expected, and the whole thing took almost 7 hours. Here is the first update that I posted after surgery with all the details.

It was so hard to see Hudson in so much pain after surgery. He was given a spinal but it didn't take. The first night was critical. We stayed awake waiting on his kidney to produce urine for the first time post surgery. It took longer that it was supposed to and we were a nervous wreck. The kidney had been through so much that it was explained to us that it was in shock and had to "wake up". He also started running fevers and got croup from being intubated for so long. He hung in there and was such a little trooper. We were (and still are) so thankful for all of the love, support, and most of all prayers that brought Hudson (and us) through these very rough days.

I'm starting to feel a little better. I can sit up in my bed now.God was (is) so good and Hud bounced back in about a week. He had complications with his medication, and had a few allergic reactions, but we worked closely with his Doc. to stay on top of these issues. He had to go back 6 weeks later to get his stint removed, which meant he had to be put to sleep again and intubated. This procedure was much quicker, and you can read about it here.

These 2 pictures were taken about a week after surgery. It was the first day that he got down and played, smiled and seemed to be getting back to his usual self.One thing is for sure. We are so blessed and thankful to have our precious boy happy and healthy. It was tough to see him go through surgery. It was tough to see his scar, and see him hurting and in pain. It made me hurt. Luckily he will never remember it, and his 3 inch incision has faded and is much less noticeable. He is doing wonderful. We go back to see Dr. Donohoe at the end of September. We continue to pray for a good report and for Hud to be calm as they do another ultrasound on him, and what ever else needs to be done this time. It's amazing that it has been a whole year and we are SO glad to have it in our past.

eating a cracker with his favorite cat Macie

Chef Hudson at his cousin's birthday party

No comments:

Post a Comment